Celebrating 275 Years
In 1720 Jonathon Scott and Ebenzer Richason ventured into the northwest corner of the town of Waterbury. They each established a farm, setting the roots for a permanent settlement named Wooster Swamp. In 1729 the Garsney family moved to the Guernseytown area. By 1732 this region, renamed Westbury, boasted thirty-two people.
For the families and friends of Jonathon Scott, Ebenzer Richason and the Garsneys, attending worship meant a nine-mile journey to the nearest Congregational meetinghouse which was located in Waterbury. Most walked the distance; others rode in wagons or traveled by horseback.
Participation in Sunday services was a full day affair. The two hour morning service included a sermon of “not less than one hour.” The one and a half hour long afternoon service included a sermon of similar length.
A Court appointed committee was sent from Hartford to Westbury to decide where the meetinghouse should be located. By October 1739 the committee reported to the Assembly that they had “set a stake with stone laid into it in the Southwest corner of Eleazer Scott’s barn lot, near to the road or intended highway that ran north and south.” Remuneration to Scott was three acres of land or fifty schillings in money.